«Table of Contents INTRODUCTION System Requirements Installing AssetExplorer Uninstalling AssetExplorer Registering AssetExplorer Contacting ZOHO ...»
ManageEngine AssetExplorer –Help Documentation
Table of Contents
Contacting ZOHO Corporation
SCANNING WORKSTATIONS AND OTHER NETWORK DEVICES................26
Scanning Windows Machine
Modes of Scan:Agent and Agentless
Methods of Agent Deployment
Un-installing the Agent
Scanning Linux, Solaris, MAC and AIX machines
Scanning Printers, Routers, Switches and Access Points
Windows Domain Scan
Scanning Machines outside a domain/network
Ports used during Scan
Scanning WAN environment
Distributed Asset Scan
REMOTE DESKTOP SHARING
SETTING UP ASSETEXPLORER
Configuring Product Types
ManageEngine AssetExplorer –Help Documentation Configuring Products
Adding Workstation Additional Fields
Adding Asset Additional Fields
Import Assets from CSV (Comma Separated Value) Files
Adding Resource State
Adding IT Services
Configuring Software Type
Adding Software Category
License - Additional Fields
Software License Types
License Agreement- Additional Fields
Importing Software Licenses from CSV
Adding Company details
Adding New User
Configuring Active Directory Authentication
Mail Server Settings
Adding IT Asset
Adding Bulk of IT Assets to Group
Assigning Bulk of IT Assets to Department/Site
Modifying Bulk of IT Assets State
Change log-in Credentials for bulk of IT Assets
ManageEngine AssetExplorer –Help Documentation Bulk Scan of IT Assets
Viewing IT Asset Details
Assigning IT Asset to User/Department/Asset
Adding New Workstation
Scanning Bulk of Newly Added Workstation
Changing Workstation As Server
Viewing Workstation Details
Print Preview of Workstation Details
Importing Workstation Details from CSV
Adding New Component
Viewing Component Details
Adding Components to Group
Adding Non-IT Asset
Adding Non-IT Assets to Group
Assigning Bulk of Non-IT Assets to Department/Site
Modify Bulk of Non-IT Asset State
Viewing Non IT Asset Details
Assigning Non-IT Assets to User and/or Department
ManageEngine AssetExplorer –Help Documentation SOFTWARE ASSET MANAGEMENT
Adding New Software
Viewing Software Details
Changing Software Type
Changing Software Category
Associate Software Minor Versions
Editing and Deleting License Agreement
Printing the License Agreement
Adding Software Licenses
Viewing Software Licenses
Editing and Deleting Software License
Attaching Document to Software Licenses
Editing and Deleting Service Packs
Creating Asset - Groups
Editing and Deleting Groups
Removing Assets from Static Group
CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT DATABASE (CMDB)
Populating CIs in CMDB
CMDB - Admin Configurations
Configuration Item Types (CI Types)
Import CI(s) from CSV
CMDB List View
Defining CI Relationships
Purchase Order Configurations
ManageEngine AssetExplorer –Help Documentation GL Code
Purchase Additional Fields
Purchase Default Values
Viewing PO based on filters
Creating a Purchase Order
Purchase Order Approval Process
Ordered Purchase Order
Receiving Purchase Order Items
Adding Invoice details and Notification
Adding Payment details & Notifications
E-mailing the PO Owner
E-mailing the Vendor
Editing Purchase Order
Printing Purchase Order
Deleting Purchase Orders
Closing a PO
Contracts - Additional Fields
Custom Contract Notification Template
Contracts List View
Contracts Based on Filters
Creating New Contracts
Viewing Owner Details
To Renew a Contract
E-mailing the owner
Notifying the Vendor
About AssetExplorer Reports
New Custom Reports
New Query Reports
ManageEngine AssetExplorer –Help Documentation Custom Settings
Exporting Report as PDF
System Log Viewer
Changing Web Server Port
Back up and Restore
Moving AssetExplorer to a new server
Introduction Asset Management ManageEngine AssetExplorer is a comprehensive Asset Management Software that helps to manage all your IT and Non-IT assets. AssetExplorer offers a single view to track and manage all your assets.
With AssetExplorer, you can track and manage ownership of, IT & Non-IT Assets Software Asset Management Purchase Orders Contracts IT & Non-IT Asset Management AssetExplorer helps you to manage, IT assets such as, workstations, switches, routers, printers, and access points Non-IT assets such as basic fixtures, furniture, chairs, tables, projectors, scanners and desk phones Asset Components such as keyboards, mouse and printer inks.
Software Asset Management
Software License Management
AssetExplorer helps you to manage software licenses installed across the enterprise. You can consolidate and manage all your software licenses from a single screen. AssetExplorer will scan and automatically pickup license keys for Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Word. You can key-in all the licenses purchased earlier and track future purchase of software licenses through the Purchase module.
AssetExplorer helps you to track the usability of the installed software across organization. It gives the count of rarely used, frequently used and occasionally used software.
Software Compliance AssetExplorer tracks purchased versus installed licenses helping you to ensure software license compliance. The scheduled scan alerts you when an unauthorized software installation is detected, ensuring software compliance on an on-going basis.
Configuration Management Database (CMDB) Configuration Management Database (CMDB) lets you track and manage all your Configuration Items (CIs) in a single repository. Unlike the asset database that comprises of a bunch of CIs, the CMDB in AssetExplorer is designed to support a vast IT structure where the interrelations between the CIs are maintained and supported successfully. It’s the CI relationship that makes the CMDB an effective decision making tool, impact and root cause analyzer.
Purchase Orders AssetExplorer offers a complete Purchasing system that helps you manage POs with approvals.
Detailed reports based on POs such as POs by required date help you plan your asset roll out in advance.
Contracts AssetExplorer helps you effectively manage contracts with different vendors. It keeps a check on the expiry date and alerts for renewal. Detailed reports based on contracts such as contracts by maximum spend and contracts by vendors helps you negotiate and make informed decisions.
System Requirements Hardware The following table list the hardware system requirement, according to the number of nodes, for installing AssetExplorer application.
In Windows Follow the steps given below to install and set up the ManageEngine AssetExplorer.
1. Download ManageEngine_AssetExplorer.exe file.
2. Click the.exe file to start the installation. The AssetExplorer installation wizard appears.
Follow the instructions given in the wizard to successfully set up AssetExplorer.
3. On accepting the license agreement, the installation wizard provides you with an option to choose between Trial Edition and Free Edition of the AssetExplorer application. Free Edition never expires but is restricted to a single technician login and 25 nodes (workstation) discovery. The Trial Edition is valid only for 30 days and provides two technician login. There are no other restrictions.
4. The next step is choosing the installation directory. By default, the application is installed in C:\ManageEngine\AssetExplorer directory. If you want to change the installation directory, then, click the Browse button beside the directory path.
Note: The installation directory or its parent directories must not have any space character in its name.
5. From the file chooser window, choose the directory of your choice and click Next.
6. Provide a name that needs to appear in the Programs folder. By default, it is ManageEngine AssetExplorer.
7. Click Next.
8. Enter the port number that has to be used to run the web server. The default port number provided is 8080. If you already have any application running in that port, then enter the number of the port that is free and can be used by the web server to run the AssetExplorer application server and click Next.
9. The Registration for Technical Support form is displayed. This is an optional form and this enables you to register for technical assistance. By registering, it helps the technical support team to be better informed about your organization and its specific needs and hence provide a more focused support. Enter the details such as Name, contact E-mail ID, Phone Number (helps in making calls for immediate support), Company Name, and Country.
10. Click Next.
11. The details that you have provided till now will be displayed as below for your confirmation:
Installation Directory : C:\ManageEngine\AssetExplorer Folder Name : ManageEngine AssetExplorer WebServer Port : 8080 If the displayed information is correct, then click the Next button, or else click the Back button and make the necessary changes and proceed with the installation.
12. After you confirm the above details, the application is installed. On successful installation, the following screen is displayed.
13. When you choose to start the AssetExplorer Service, the AssetExplorer Server is started automatically and the client window opens. If you do not wish to view the readme file or start AssetExplorer as a windows service, de-select the options provided.
14. Click Finish to complete the installation.
Following the instruction as suggested above, the ManageEngine AssetExplorer program group is created in the Start menu. Also, the AssetExplorer server will be started and the client window opens with the login page. Enter the User Name as "administrator" and Password as "administrator" to log in to the application.
To manually start the AssetExplorer application
1. Click Start - Programs - ManageEngine AssetExplorer - AssetExplorer Server to start the web server. This takes approximately 2 minutes in a Windows XP, 512 MB RAM, and 1.0 GHZ processor. Generally, the server is started and the web client is also launched in the default browser.